By Shantanu Kaushik
DevOps started as a collaborative measure between the development and operation teams. It started as a practice but developed over time as a culture. The reason for its success is related to the evolution of the complete solution. The DevOps practice involved a better managed, scaled, and reliable solution that was developed with an advanced set of tools and industry-leading solutions.
The core of DevOps has been to automate the primary phases of the whole practice to make it efficient and to increase the overall performance. DevOps and the cloud have come across as a complementing partnership that improves the core competency of the overall practice and enhances software innovation. Alibaba Cloud has been the front runner in terms of the applied practices with more tools and services to make the overall solution more robust and reliable.
Enterprises have realized that continuous delivery of innovation driven development is the key to capitalize on the industry disruption and to improve upon the quality and cost of an application.
Let’s take a look at the Alibaba Cloud DevOps Model:
Alibaba Cloud presents a DevOps strategy by following a pattern that can be seen with its DevOps model.
Based on what I understand:
1. DevOps adoption has been expanding as organizations are moving to cloud-enabled application models based on the shared functionality from native apps.
- This has been a hybridity model. With this model, enterprises are now focusing on deployment scenarios where applications are deployed on the local resource and share functionality that extends to a public cloud.
- Microservices play a major role to ensure the high-availability and scalability of an application.
2. DevOps can cover an end-to-end software delivery lifecycle (SDLC) and enable the usage of industry tools for collaboration and automation.
3. The Hybrid Cloud platform is an example of an advanced practice going mainstream.
- This service works as a prime mover to escalate delivery innovation rapidly.
4. DevOps practices can be vital to an organization. With Alibaba Cloud Hybrid Cloud platform, large organizations can pursue different goals and processes by involving multiple teams to collaborate on a unified objective-based project.
5. Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI CD) has to be given a significant role in DevOps practice through automation.
Hybrid Cloud and DevOps
In an ever-changing world, the cloud is used as an umbrella term for a lot of solutions and practices that work with the same architectural values, such as data analytics, social technologies, Machine learning, and AI. Every service runs with a collaboration mechanism that is already using hybrid cloud practices for a more secure and enhanced service structure.
Good examples are the online applications that have captured the market of travel/transportation, entertainment, lodging, and communication. This disruption is driven by the changing world needs. Most businesses today are either on the verge of adopting digital transformation or have started moving already. These businesses are looking at models and facilities to make the shift easier and to use the market disruption to the fullest.
The Hybrid Challenge with DevOps
One of the biggest challenges with the hybrid cloud and DevOps is the synchronization of the software development lifecycle across environments and teams.
The Solution — Hybrid DevOps Model
The Hybrid DevOps model is supposed to take on the challenges that may prove to be the biggest clog in the chain of events leading to an industry-wide catastrophe. To overcome this, the Hybrid DevOps model has to sync with the Software as a Service (SaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS) solutions.
As the hybrid architecture suggests, maintaining control over data and applications while implementing DevOps practice to leverage the benefits of the hybrid cloud is the ultimate goal of a successful model. The key to achieving this is a perfect combination of automated planning, integration, and delivery.
Containers — Kubernetes — Alibaba Cloud Hybrid Cloud 2.0
Alibaba Cloud has made use of Kubernetes to enhance the delivery model by using containers. This is the reason that containerization is a prime mover within the digital transformation cycle. Using DevOps to build a cloud-native application requires an open infrastructure that follows the agile methodology. A pocket-friendly, secure, and flexible solution requires a practice that follows and adheres to the hybrid model of integration and delivery. Using containers to develop these cloud-native applications in the hybrid cloud environment takes care of a lot of challenges faced otherwise.
Let’s look at the Alibaba Cloud Hybrid Cloud 2.0 model:
To build these cloud-native applications using the hybrid cloud platform requires an end-to-end solution. The model depicted above solves these problems, helps share the workload, and manages it across the hybrid cloud solution.
Pointers: Implementing the Hybrid Cloud and DevOps
Making the shift from on-premises to Hybrid Cloud takes a lot more than migrating to the cloud in general. It is a big change and can be considered a paradigm shift for an organization. These are the most fundamental things to consider:
- Maintain core business competency and model all the changes to create a migration profile. This will help the teams adapt to the cultural shift.
- Integrating the Hybrid Cloud solution with your on-premise or existing cloud solution. Any new practice needs time for perfection. It is always a good idea to incorporate the key features of your existing practice into the new model. This helps all of the teams to better understand and change with the changing practice.
- DevOps and the automation of key phases. Automation is the key to a successful DevOps practice. This has to be just right. When using the Hybrid Cloud, you need to make sure that the automation process follows the hybridity model. A combination of multiple cloud teams and environments might lead to a complex system. The Hybrid model with DevOps should be an easy strategy to ensure all the parts of the system work in-sync.
- Security is a primary concern here. The Hybrid Cloud is known for the security feature integration of private clouds, and DevOps culture only introduces security as a model while implementing DevSecOps. Please pay attention to this point to deliver a secure model.
The Hybrid Cloud solution solves the most inherent communication security issues between public and private clouds. The flexibility of operations is among the core of a hybrid cloud.
With emerging markets and more people-centric solutions, the Hybrid Cloud and DevOps solutions will be the models that most organizations adopt. This shall be used as a standard operating scenario, as this model provides a great deal of functionality with easy-to-use features and rich public cloud-based sharing models.
Customer interaction is now playing a critical role in how most organizations deliver solutions. Right from the development process to the delivery, continuous innovation is the prime mover for productivity and an SDLC that focuses on real-world solutions.
The Alibaba Cloud Hybrid Cloud model responds to an organization’s changing needs by allowing them to cut down on the release times and managing the Continuous Integration and Delivery with its DevOps model.
NEXT in Line
- Best Practices of Building a Hybrid Cloud
- Public, Private, and Hybrid Cloud C Alibaba Cloud
The views expressed herein are for reference only and don’t necessarily represent the official views of Alibaba Cloud.