How Can We Combine PostgreSQL and MySQL to Make the Whole Greater than the Sum of the Parts? (Part 2)
4. Features of ApsaraDB RDS for PostgreSQL
As mentioned earlier, we have an edition of ApsaraDB for PostgreSQL with full-coverage encryption, which is a special edition. This edition is also produced in cooperation with Alibaba DAMO Academy. This edition protects networks, databases, operating systems, storage, and data centers against attacks, data leakage by database applications, data leakage on cloud platforms, and data leakage by cloud platform administrators.
Professional GIS Module
The fifth feature is a vertical spatio-temporal feature. Spatio-temporal scenarios include the planar geometric model, spherical geometric model, raster model, spatio-temporal trajectory model, point cloud model, and topological network model. Our geographic information system (GIS) module supports all of these models.
In addition, our GIS module has wide application scenarios, including the Internet of vehicles (IoV) and the grid network of satellites. For example, our remote sensing satellite can take photos, compare deformations, and predict earthquakes. Also, our GIS module can search for similar trajectory points based on some trajectory points in criminal investigations by the public police. This module can also be used to perform thermal analysis based on time and space. For example, our GIS module can be used to track vehicles in logistics. Specifically, our GIS module can track couriers in real-time to obtain their real-time positions. It can also help find the most suitable rider for delivering a meal order.
All of these scenarios involve spatio-temporal computing. To deal with the computing, the Ganos module is optimized to improve the computing efficiency of these scenarios.
5. Cloud-Based vs. On-Premises
ApsaraDB RDS for PostgreSQL has obvious advantages over on-premises PostgreSQL.
The first advantage is the management advantage. ApsaraDB RDS for PostgreSQL can complete full lifecycle management, so you do not have to be concerned about backups, high availability, and monitoring. We provide 24/7 official expert services to solve your problems at any time.
The second advantage is the security advantage. ApsaraDB RDS for PostgreSQL supports the features of Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), encryption of cloud disks, SGX full-coverage database encryption, and security groups.
The third advantage is the R&D advantage. We own the world’s top database kernel experts and management platform R&D teams. In addition, ApsaraDB RDS for PostgreSQL is fully compatible with the community edition. Therefore, we do not require the binding of ApsaraDB RDS for PostgreSQL.
6. Product Ecosystem of ApsaraDB RDS for PostgreSQL
The product ecosystem of ApsaraDB RDS for PostgreSQL includes supporting tools, partners, and technical support groups. We have more than 3,800 members in our community, including users and Alibaba Cloud experts. All problems can be discussed in the community, including community problems and usage problems on ApsaraDB RDS for PostgreSQL. Alibaba Cloud also provides official support, university courses, and expert service.
7. Problems Solved by the PostgreSQL and MySQL Combination
What problems can the PostgreSQL and MySQL combination solve? We know that MySQL is widely used and supports many frameworks. However, MySQL can be weak in the following aspects:
- Analysis, complex query, and processing of spatio-temporal data
- High requirements for accuracy. In addition to latitude and longitude recognition by the GIS module, MySQL also requires other filtering conditions and combination conditions, as well as high efficiency.
- Real-time advertising, word segmentation, fuzzy query, and image recognition
- Chemical analysis in biomedical artificial intelligence (AI.) ApsaraDB RDS for PostgreSQL can store chemical formulas for analysis. Professional users in the pharmaceutical industry, such as biomedical personnel, may use this feature.
By combining MySQL and PostgreSQL, we can support more application scenarios to meet various pressing business needs. To connect the data of the two products, we can establish two links between them.
- The first link is the Data Transmission Service (DTS). The incremental subscription synchronization of DTS can be used to subscribe to incremental data of MySQL to PostgreSQL.
- The other link is built in PostgreSQL. To directly access some tables in MySQL, PostgreSQL can directly access the MySQL tables by using the
mysql-fdw plug-infor accessing external tables.