How to Build a Website with Alibaba Cloud Web Hosting
Alibaba Cloud Web Hosting is a flexible and easy-to-use product that allows you to build or transfer a website using FTP. It supports a wide variety of web builders and is ideal for all kinds of applications, from personal blogs to e-commerce websites.
This tutorial describes how to build a website with Alibaba Cloud Web Hosting in just a few easy steps.
You would need to have an FTP client installed. You would also need existing files to be uploaded onto your website.
Step 1: Purchasing Web Hosting Product
1. Open your browser and visit https://www.alibabacloud.com/product/hosting . Click Buy Now to make a purchase.
Note: You may have to change your language preference as the webpage opens.
2. Make an appropriate selection for Version, Data Center, and OS.
Choose your desired Subscription Duration and click Buy Now again to proceed.
3. You will then reach the login page of your Alibaba Cloud Management Console. Enter the relevant details to log in into the console and proceed. Review your order and click Place Order upon confirmation.
4. You will be taken to the next page where you can complete the purchase process upon making the payment.
5. With that, you have successfully purchased the Alibaba Web Hosting service.
Step 2: Obtaining FTP Credentials
1. Now, go back to the console to find the purchased Web Hosting product. Click on the Web Hosting icon under the Domains & Websites section.
2. Click Manage to view and manage the settings of your hosted website.
3. Go to File Management on the left-hand panel and select Upload Site.
4. On the Upload Site page, you can get the credentials for the FTP or reset the password for the FTP login.
Step 3: Uploading Files Using FTP
1. We can now manage our web files using an FTP client. We will be using Filezilla as our FTP client.
2. Open Filezilla and enter the Hostname, Username, and Password obtained from the Web Hosting management console to enable a Quickconnect.
3. You will be prompted for a confirmation of an Unknown certificate. Click OK to proceed. Upon confirmation, you will be connected to Filezilla and see all remotely hosted sites.
4. Upload your codebase in the htdocs folder. You can upload static HTML files and dynamic files such as PHP, Wordpress, or Drupal. Here we are uploading an index.php file, which contains phpinfo of our particular website.
5. On the Web Hosting management page, go to Instance Details. Here, we can obtain a test domain name provided by Alibaba Cloud. Note that, this domain name is strictly for testing purposes.
6. When you hit the test domain name, you will be prompted to verify the login and to accept the terms and conditions. Accept all prompts and proceed.
7. You will be taken you to the host website home page upon confirmation. By default, it will search for index.php, default.html, and index.html.
Step 4: Putting Your Website Online
1. For hosting a live website, you would need to bind your domain to the Alibaba Cloud Server. Go back to your console and click on Addon Domains on the left-hand panel. Enter your own domain name to bind it with the test domain name by clicking OK.
2. Our current resolution status is unresolved as our selected domain is not managed categorically at the DNS level.
3. Visit your domain name registrar to resolve your domain name to *.aliwebs.com using CNAME. Upon completion, the resolution status will be Resolved.
4. Hit your domain name, and you will be able to see your website homepage.
With that, you have successfully built a website using Alibaba Cloud Web Hosting!