In this article, I want to share my experience at Alibaba Cloud Computing Conference 2018, which is also known as “Yunqi Conference” in China. There are many things that I could talk about but this will take more than a single blog post, so I will focus only on the major takeaways of this event. To give you a perspective, here are some quick facts about the Alibaba Cloud Computing Conference 2018:
- The attendance exceeded 58,000 visitors for this year’s conference.
- More than 20% of attendees are C-level executives.
- There were more than 1000+ product booths across the conference.
- Hundreds of technical sessions and forums on existing and new product launches.
- There were 8k displays across conference.
Alibaba Cloud Most Valuable Professional (MVP)
All this started when I became an MVP and Tech Share author for Alibaba Cloud in late 2017. I was already working on some solutions using Alibaba Cloud in mid-2017 but the MVP was awarded to me on December. As an MVP, I was given a lot of opportunities to not only learn about Alibaba Cloud but also to share my knowledge with the developer community in India. I really enjoy meeting industry experts, connecting with the community, listening to their requirements, and discussing their problems while coming up with solutions.
As one of the first global Alibaba Cloud MVP, I had great support from the Alibaba Cloud team to make this initiative successful. With this opportunity, I have met some inspiring leaders from the community. I have also conducted and participated in various meetups across India. All in all, it is pretty amazing being an Alibaba Cloud MVP because it improves your subject matter expertise and also helps you find like-minded people.
Alibaba Cloud Computing Conference 2018
As a Diamond-level MVP, I was awarded the opportunity to attend The Computing Conference 2018 as well as the MVP Summit 2018 in Hangzhou, China.
Now talking about the Computing Conference, trust me the conference is massive at least in my experience. There are so many power-packed and knowledgeable speeches from the leaders of Alibaba Group, various technology and business partners, as well as individual developers at the main forum. At first I was a little concern about the language barrier but there was live interpretation available for every speech, which was really convenient.
There are several sessions from different product leaders scheduled; some sessions were so popular that you needed to arrive early to get a seat. Apart from the sessions from the product leaders, there are also several sessions from the product developers where you can interact with them to understand about the product. Unfortunately, some of these sessions overlap and I could not attend all the sessions simultaneously.
I also enjoyed exploring the booths at the conference. There were a lot of interesting booths spanning across different technological areas within both hardware and software such as smart homes, drones, and Internet of Things (IoT). As an MVP, I had the opportunity to interview some of the product partners such as JetBrains, RedHat and SAP. I learned not only about their products but also on how partnering with Alibaba Cloud helped these companies.
Most Memorable Events at The Computing Conference 2018
Below are some of the most memorable events at the conference, as well as proposed launches that I am really excited about.
AliOS is something which I am not exposed to before, but it is now being applied to the automotive industry to change the way we drive. AliOS has been successfully launched in China and available across ten car brands. Some AliOS features that really amazed me are:
- The assistant doesn’t need a special trigger to be enabled. It can be turned on to provide immediate responses as needed.
- There are 3 cameras continuously monitoring the driver concentration levels, gesture-based navigation, and overlay based navigations to the drivers.
- There is no need for a mobile device to use it. All details and information from your phone can be synced to your car.
- A multitude of functions and products makes ET Brain. There are several brains available according to the industry verticals such as City Brain, Medical Brain, and Environment Brain.
- In the Computing Conference, Alibaba Cloud also re-launched the Agricultural Brain. I am very excited about agricultural brain as this solution can be used to address one of the fundamental needs of the growing population.
Various Product Demos
There are a multitude of product demos that were interesting, including:
- ANT Financial
- Better known as Alipay, one of the most valued startups in the world, there is a complete booth for ANT Financial, they showcased some of the solutions for different industries like insurance, Small loans & even digital philanthropy.
- DAMO Academy
- DAMO Academy showcased some solutions which they are working, some are very simple yet interesting they showcased several databases, how did they improve the performance by choosing different options like Vector Database
- Cainiao is a group of logistics company launched by Alibaba Group which provides faster and safer delivery of packages across China and Worldwide. It is again one of the most valued startups in China. Cainiao is the key for 11.11 sale deliveries across the world. They even showcased a robotic warehouse which manages and delivers packages without human intervention. This smart logistics is so significant for the massive 11.11 sale.
There are a lot more that I could not cover in this blog, but be sure to stay tuned to Alibaba Cloud’s latest offering. There have been plans for new product launches such as Data Lake Analytics, IPv6 as a service, and much more.
That’s all from me for now, it was a great experience for me in Alibaba campus in Hangzhou, China. I look forward to The Computing Conference in 2019 and I hope to see you all there!
Highlights of the Computing Conference 2018 - Empowering the Economy through Data and Technology
Let's take a look at the key topics in this year's conference, including the launch of ET City Brain 2.0 and Jack Ma's…